Advocacy and Stakeholder Engagement
NESA’s guiding vision is opportunity for all through employment and inclusion, and a key part of achieving this is representing the sector to Government: making sure the concerns, queries and suggestions of people delivering Employment Services are heard and understood by policy makers.
We do this in a range of ways through:
NESA participates in numerous meetings on behalf of our members with government officials, including from:
The Australian Government Departments of:
- Social Services
- Prime Minister and Cabinet
- Human Services
The Australian National Audit Office
Australian Institute of Health and Welfare
The National Disability Insurance Agency
State and Territory Government departments
NESA also directly engages with Ministers, Shadow Ministers and parliamentary staff across the Employment, Social Services, Disability Services, Human Services, and Indigenous Affairs portfolios. A collaborative approach across members and stakeholders is critical to shine a light on the key role employment services play in Australia, and to ensure constructive and responsive future policy developments.
Written submissions in response to parliamentary inquiries, independent reviews, department consultations and sometimes directly to Ministers on NESA’s priority concerns.
(You can see our submissions here).
Participation in Government and Research advisory and reference groups, notably:
Department of Employment
- Work for the Dole Advisory Group
- jobactive Operations and Practice Advisory Group
- jobactive Performance Framework Working Group
- National CEO forums
Department of Social Services
- Minister’s National Disability and Carers Advisory Council (NDAC)
- Minister’s Employment Reform Working Group of the National Disability and Carers Advisory Council: (Sally Sinclair chairs this group)
- Minister’s Disability Employment Services Reference Group
- Disability Employment Services Operational Working Group
Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet
- CDP Special Interest Group
- RSAS Training Strategy Advisory Panel
Victorian State Government
- Jobs Victoria Employment Network (JVEN) Networking Conference
- Enhancing Employment Services for Mature Job Seekers Research Advisory Group
- Skills IQ Industry Advisory Group
- Financial Inclusion Action Plan Advisory Group
- Health Benefits of Good Work Signatory Steering Group (Royal Australasian College of Physicians)
NESA has established strong and enduring relationships with key departmental officials and successive Ministers, and we benefit from a respected and politically independent position.
But of course, to be able to do all this effectively, we depend on our members participation in NESA working groups and forums or less formally getting in touch with us at any time by email or by phone to keep us informed of what’s important to the sector.