New Enterprise Incentive Scheme
NEIS assists individuals (aged 18+) who are interested in setting up and running their own business.
NEIS is delivered by a network of 21 providers across Australia. There are 8,600 NEIS places available nationally each financial year.
NEIS assistance aims to give participants the best chance of establishing a successful and viable business at the end of their NEIS participation.
• cannot already be operating on a commercial basis
• will have an independent business structure
• are lawful and capable of withstanding public scrutiny
• have been assessed as commercially viable by the NEIS provider
• will be established, located and operated solely within Australia
• will be structured so that the applicant has and will maintain a controlling interest over the NEIS business while participating in New Business Assistance.
NEIS provides participants with personalised mentoring and support in the first year of operation to help put the business idea into practice.
Whilst participating in NEIS, job seekers receive income support for up to 39 weeks and may receive rental assistance for up to 26 weeks (if eligible).