Mental Health First Aid (MHFA)
Melbourne | Wed 18 October & Thur 19 October 2017 | 9.30am AEDT
NESA offers the Mental Health First Aid course authorised by MHFA Australia, and delivered by MHFA Australia Accredited Instructors.
Our next courses are being delivered in the NESA Melbourne office over two days – Wednesday 18 and Thursday 19 October 2017 (also the NESA Sydney office on Tuesday 10 and Wednesday 11 October 2017 )
The 12-hour Mental Health First Aid course teaches adults (18 years and over) how to provide initial support to adults who are developing a mental illness or experiencing a mental health crisis. The course is delivered over two days.
Course participants learn about the signs and symptoms of the common and disabling mental health problems, how to provide initial help, where and how to get professional help, what sort of help has been shown by research to be effective, and how to provide first aid in a crisis situation.
- Explore different options for supporting a person with mental health problems
- Understand the prevalence of mental illness in Australia
- Identify where to get support
- Understand why early intervention is key
- Identify when a colleague may be depressed
- Understand suicide and its warning signs
- Learn what to do if someone mentions suicide
- Identify when a colleague may be suffering anxiety
- Understand the different anxiety disorders
- Know how to help a colleague manage a panic attack
- Know what to do if a colleague has suffered trauma
- Learn to spot serious mental health issues, including psychosis & bipolar disorder
- Understand what to do if you witness a psychotic episode
- Identify the signs of substance abuse in the workplace
- Understand types of drugs and their effects
- Know how to handle a colleague with a substance abuse related disorder
At the end of training participant:
All participants that complete the full 12 hour course will receive a Certificate of Completion and have the opportunity to undertake the MHFA online exam for their full certification (They will be issued PDF Certificate of Accreditation by MHFA Australia). Please note that this is an internationally recognised course.
NESA Members $250 and non-members $310. Prices are inclusive of GST